Friday, January 12, 2007

Steering at last





Another couple of days of good progress this week. Earlier I cut and tacked in the two diagonals from the shock mounts to the scuttle tube (which I also tacked in). Today I fabricated the mounts for the steering. The lower on used an exhaust clamp to hold the Sierra rubber bush. The clamp was than bolted to a bracket welded to the front tube. it took several attempts to get it correct as the clamp that joins the lower column was fouling the bracket. The upper bracket was made to bolt to the adjustable mount from the Sierra. At first I thought that a simple plate would flex but once everything was bolted in, it seemed immovable! The last thing I did before leaving was to cycle the front suspension through its rang of movement and was delighted to see that there was no bumpsteer whatsoever - the time spent with the laser over the new year was obviously well spent!

No comments: