Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Good weekends work





Had a good weekend of work. John and his family visited so while our brave wives dealt with 5 kids, we went to the workshop! While I welded up all the tacked joints, John fabricated the mount for the steering column, which I later welded up. John then made the cross piece for the top of the chassis. The mount will bolt to additional cross pieces not yet made.
I have been agonising for ages about what to do for the floor. I had been given a large sheet of 18g steel to use, but I was worried about it flexing as I got in and out. Aluminium was my preferred option, mainly for the weight, but the current prices are very high and it seemed silly to spend £50 or £60 when I had perfectly good steel. I then noticed a Fiesta back seat in the scrap bin. The back of this is thin steel but it has ribs pressed into it and supporting bars. I have now cut this down to use at the front of the footwell and I’ll use the this steel under the seat where you don’t stand, as you can see form these photos.

No comments: