Saturday, May 31, 2008

More pedals and brake woes




This week I made some progress with the clutch pedal. I had to revise my original plan - on closer inspection of the Ford clutch master cylinder, it became clear that a return spring would be necessary. A look at the Sylva Riot build manual confirmed this. In order to do this, I modified the TR7 throttle that I had lying about by cutting it and then incorporating the remaining stub into the pedal. I also began to look at the brake master cylinder carefully. I found that the reservoir fouled on the steering column. I have a Fiat remote reservoir lying around so looked to see if this could be used. I also found the 'brakemath' excel spreadsheet on the internet and used it to ascertain if I would need the pressure reducers used by the Fiesta. Finally, as a result of the results from this spreadsheet, I got round to seeing if the Rover Calipers would fit at the back of the car - unfortunately they don't. This leaves me with a few unanswered questions. Whether to persevere with the Fiesta master cylinder and modify it for a remote reservoir - bearing in mind that it has a bore of .87" and might result in a high pedal force, or whether to search for one from a suitable donor (any suggestions - remote reservoir, .7"ish bore). The final option is to go for a balance bar set up which would probably mean remaking the pedal. Finally I need rear calipers - Sierra are the obvious choice but something from the VW/SEAT/Audi range should fit!!!

No comments: